Thursday, February 13, 2014

Faldoni, parts 2780 - 2783

  2780. To annihilate my argument they will quote the well know fact that the contemporaries of Leonardo marveled at his “Last Supper,” because in his painting in the original state, the table cloth was said to have displayed the weavers art, thereby indicating that he must have somehow painted the very warp and weave of the cloth.


 2781. Having listened to all of the astute criticism of my ideas that have been thrown at me by my critics yesterday, I am almost at a loss to know what to say or how to respond. I was simply trying to point out that the painting of very careful detail in paintings is a monotonous task, and so runs a bit contrary to what we think of as the creative impulse. That was all I was trying to say!


 2782. But my enemies, who are always trying to belittle my ideas and undermine my confidence in myself have trotted out Van Eyck, and Holbein, Durer, and even Leonardo da Vinci to not only prove me wrong, but make it look like I am just an amateur who does not really know anything about art history, and the old masters.


2783. Well, so what if I am just an amateur, and have never published any books about art or architecture, does that prove that I am wrong? No, it does not prove me wrong, but I have to admit that I was so stumped by those criticisms that I almost did not write anything today. My page was almost blank as I waited for some idea to pop into my mind, some concept that I could use to fight back against my detractors.

No comments:

Post a Comment