Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Beggar's Daughter, parts 4788 - 4791


 4788. The Anglican Church near the Via Del Corso has a tradition of presenting musical concerts, and so I went to the church and the vicar there was helpful enough to open his record register and we found that there was a concert of Corelli concertos in the last week of October, in the year 1996.


 4789. I felt certain that, even though I had discovered the sketchbook diary only recently, its important entries were all dated in the late 90's. I soon began to feel that I was piecing together what was the end of a grand love affair at the end of a grand century.


 4790. The diary entry about the concert was referred to as "their last day in Rome." Pardon me for telling my story backwards, but in the diary was a long entry consisting of descriptions of an art exhibit going on in Rome at the time. These descriptions deserve an examination.


 4791. As a rule, when one reads a writer's descriptions of art exhibits, one is searching for aesthetic insights into the art, but in this case, I would like to point out, that it was the state of mind of the writer that I found so interesting, and as for the art, it was apparently, not of much interest to the unknown writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment