Friday, June 8, 2012

Buboni, Lost In The Woods, parts 220 - 223

Richard Britell June, 8, 2012

220.  Buboni's long and illustrious career as an art historian ended abruptly at 10:00 AM that Saturday morning as people all over the world read the newspaper article. What this was like for Buboni who was not young, and had never encountered any adversity before is both hard to describe, and hard to imagine. Buboni's blog entries from the time give us a good idea of what it was like for him.



221. He wrote: It was as though I had become schizophrenic but it was a schizophrenia imposed on me from the outside, and not something from the inside.  Each person I met, my first thought was, "Do they know what has happened to me or not." And from their facial expressions I tried to guess, because no one would dare to talk about it.  Everywhere I went I thought I saw sympathetic eyes, and behind my back, sarcastic snickering.


222. Worst of all were the highly conservative students who came to my defence, defending me for things I never said, and rationalizing positions that had only been attributed to me by the radicals in the newspapers.


223. In the past, to have an assessment by Buboni as part of a works provenance was considered an asset, now overnight  it became an embarrassment. It was not long before Buboni was deluged with lawsuits claiming that he was responsible for the devaluation of some collector's work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment