Sunday, July 21, 2013

Michelangelo Buys Figs, parts 1863 - 1866

 1863. I decided to point out this fact to the Church. She had explained to me that she was going to go inevitably out of business because she was a Roman church without any art with which to compete with the other churches that were so well endowed with every sort of artifact. I set out to explain to her how the fact that nobody knew anything about her interior could be turned to advantage, if one considered the anecdotal story to be what was important, and not the artwork itself.







1864. It just so happened that the church interior had one very strikingly beautiful feature and that was a mosaic-inlaid floor composed of various intricate geometric patterns. A great many Roman churches have these mosaic floors, a typical feature that goes back to Roman times, but this floor was exceptional no only for the perfection of its design, but also for the wonderful state of its preservation. I began, on the spot, to make up a story about the floor.

1865. “I have a good friend in Paris” I said, “His name is Professor La Duch, pronounced, “duck”. He has been researching these mosaic floors, and he has uncovered some very interesting information that explains the beauty and preservation of your mosaic floor.

1866. After he told me about this floor I made a special point to stop here to see it, and that is why I am here today. The story involves Michelangelo, and a little known bricklayer, painter and all-around mason who used to often assist Michelangelo on his architectural work at Saint Peters.

No comments:

Post a Comment