Saturday, March 16, 2013

Otis' Dream, parts 1342 - 1345



1342. Now it was 1938 and Freud was finding that the scene of the struggle to get back in the shack teetering on the precipice was producing in him just a flood of tears, but not any laughter. "Why am I so obsessed with this film; why do I persist in returning to it again and again," he asked himself. In his usual way he subjected this question to analysis. Since it is an important part of his theory of dreams, I will explain his analysis in detail.




1343. From Freud's notes about "The Gold Rush": Big Jim?  Who does Big Jim represent in my unconscious? It has to be Carl Jung, who else could it be? And so the shack on the precipice must represent the state of the science of psychoanalyses during my conflict with Jung.


1344. Or the storm that has driven the shack to the edge of the precipice could possibly be the rise of Hitler and the coming of Nazi Germany in the 30s since we in Austria were poised on the edge of destruction

1345. My last minute escape to England, he thought, is completely described in the film, as I was forced to leave Austria without any of my art collection or antique furniture. This is the explanation of why viewing the film years ago moved me to laughter, and now provokes tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment