Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Captain's Sculpture, parts 112 - 115


 112. After class ended on the following Saturday I put this question to her. “Mrs. Festini,” I said, is it legal for me to cast these manhole covers, and say it is a sculpture that I created.


113. Because I never created the shapes in the first place, and I could never have designed anything like it, even if my life depended on it.”


114. What I got out of Mrs. Festini, bless her soul, was a lecture about Pop Art, and the works of Andy Warhol. I am not going to repeat all that she said, because I realize by now that this idea is very well know about, and I am sure you have heard all about it.


115. Warhol did not design any soup cans, but she explained how he “made us seen things like labels in a new way”, and that is why it was art.

No comments:

Post a Comment