Saturday, August 4, 2012

Childhood Of The Art Historian, parts 444 - 447


Richard Britell

444. But it didn't matter anyway because at that age I knew next to nothing about art. My knowledge of art was limited to knowing who Michelangelo was, that Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear, and a boy in my class knew how to draw Sylvester The Cat.

445.  I asked the boy in my class to teach me how to draw Sylvester The Cat but he said Sylvester was too complicated and I should begin by learning to draw Donald Duck. Learning to draw Donald Duck was going to cost a quarter so I signed up to learn.


446. The boy who could draw showed me his system. To draw Donald Duck there were about ten separate shapes very similar to letters in a picture drawing alphabet, there was a fish hook shape, and a backwards S shape, and several others. He put all these shapes in a row and numbered them, and I had to memorize them.

447. After I memorized the Donald Duck alphabet shapes I had to put them together in a certain order and the result looked like Donald Duck but my drawing looked like it was stretched out with a very big beak and a tiny head. I had to draw this over and over a hundred times and show him my best drawing. After that he gave me my quarter back

No comments:

Post a Comment