Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Beggar's Daughter, parts 4752 - 4755


 4752. I think he was in the habit of simply opening his book and writing things down, whatever page he opened to was the one he used. Every page was used, front and back, and there was not a page that was not crammed with information or drawings.


 4753. Have you ever looked at the draft pages of Dostoevsky's works, with their cramped hand, and their marginal drawings? That is what his pages reminded me of.  It was a profoundly important account of a period of a person's life, abandoned in a café.


 4754. The only explanation I can think of is that he may have had some sort of attack, and been taken away, perhaps in an ambulance, and so no one noticed the book, and it was left behind. 



4755. It was my intent to go through the book from one end to the other and figure out who its owner could have been, but I did not succeed. I must confess I read the entire thing, and I will share with you some of the most important passages.

No comments:

Post a Comment